Food Security Nioro du Sahel and Nara
This project is part of a multi-partner program of the Belgian Fund for Food Security. The following partners are involved:
- "Veterinarians Without Borders" (Dierenartsen zonder Grenzen) for the livestock component;
- Liberated World (Bevrijde Wereld) for the agricultural component;
- the Red Cross for the nutrition and health component;
- World Solidarity (Wereld Solidariteit) for the microcredits and health services component;
- UNCDF for the component for investment funds and municipal development;
- FAO to support the Commisariat pour la Sécurité Alimentaire (Food Security Office) of Mali for coordinating the program.
Key elements - component "access to drinking water"
- Increased access to drinking water and sanitation for the most vulnerable groups.
- To establish and to support management structures for communal infrastructures.
- Client contractorship by the municipalities.
- Integrated water resource management.
Direct target groups:
44.000 people obtain access to drinking water and are sensitized on hygiene and sanitation; 30 schools and 10 health care centers.
Indirect target group:
The population of the two districts
General objective of the program
To maintain a sustainable improvement of food security of vulnerable groups in the districts of Nara Nioro du Sahel, by promoting their access to inputs, technologies and markets and by strengthening the capacities of local actors to act against food insecurity in the local development.
Specific objective of the component access to drinking water
Improving the access to water for the most vulnerable groups.
- An increased amount of functional water points available for the inhabitants.
- A sustainable management of drinking water services by the municipalities and all water users.
- The target population have aquired a more hygienic behavior.
- The principles of IWRM and environmental protection are taken in account by the municipalities in consultation with all water users.
- Participatory management of water resources reduces environmental risks and social conflicts in the intervention communities.
- The relevant experience and information on municipal client contractorship, water management and sanitation are capitalized and distributed, and the communication between various actors water has improved.
FBSA (Belgian Fund for Food Security),...
- 2012: € 316.088
- 2013: € 462.879
- 2014 : € 468.413
- 2015 : € 336.846
- 2016 : € 180.479
- Total programme : € 1.764.706